November 9, 2011

Sharing holidays with meat eaters.

I was talking with my husband Macy this weekend about how I wasn't looking forward to the upcoming holidays because it's really hard for me to sit at the table in front of the body of a dead turkey. I don't really like being around meat at all, but to try to eat a meal with a corpse on your table while others are digging into it makes it even harder.  Not only does it gross me out, but I feel like I'm doing something morally wrong myself by even being there. It sucks.  Anyways, I got this daily devotional in my email on Monday. It was interesting to me because I felt it on both ends of the spectrum.  I don't feel like I judge my family when they eat meat, but I don't think of them as being totally compassionate because they do.  On the other side, I have had eyes rolled at me, the requests to make a non-vegan pumpkin pie (because my version might not be as good) and struggle with wanting to celebrate thanksgiving (for reasons I described in my last blog).  It was interesting and made me think a lot about the subject.



So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality. 
Colossians 2:16-17, NLT
Paul told the Colossian Christians not to let others criticize their diet or their religious ceremonies. Instead of outward observance, believers should focus on faith in Christ alone. Our worship, traditions and ceremonies can help bring us close to God, but we should never criticize fellow Christians whose traditions and ceremonies differ from ours. More important than how we worship is that we worship Christ.
Don't let anyone judge you. You are responsible to Christ.

No comments: