November 3, 2011

Thanksgiving.

As the season of Thanksgiving comes upon us, a lot has been going through my mind.  Celebrating this holiday for most is a great time to get together, be with family and those we care about and indulge in a great meal.  But as I've grown up and learned more about not only the history of Thanksgiving, but also the innocent creatures that become centerpieces for the meal-- I'm turned off by it.
I had dinner with a friend the other night and we were talking about how even though we disagree with the mass murdering of turkeys during this time and the atrocities that were carried out toward the Native Americans in the past, how we had always tried to think of Thanksgiving in a positive light.  Being thankful for what we have, remembering and appreciating the Native culture of America and celebrating the lives of turkeys by not eating them, but honoring them with our diet. But it was hard for both of us to  want to celebrate a holiday so filled with negativity and named after the murder of innocent men, women & children.  I think that if we ignore what the true meaning behind Thanksgiving is, it's accepting the wrongs that were done to undeserving people.  I think if Thanksgiving is going to be celebrated, it should first be recognized as a day where we remember the people who were here in the United States before pilgrims invaded it and claimed it as their own.  I think it should be a time where we ask for forgiveness for the greed of our ancestors.  It should be a time to reflect on what we've been blessed with and think of how we can share those blessings with others.  I can't think of a better way to express my thankfulness in life than to do give to people who are less fortunate than I am.  

In other "Thanksgiving" news, as I was driving to work today I ended up right behind a semi transporting turkeys.  It was raining, so at first I couldn't tell what was in the car although I feared that's what it was.  Not only was this truck completely open (no top or sides to protect them), but it was freezing rain as well.  I stared at them, knowing there was absolutely nothing I could do, but wanting desperately to get them out.  Not only would they be crammed into uncomfortably small cages with several other turkeys, while speeding down the interstate as freezing cold rain covered them... but they were literally headed to their deaths all so "we" can eat them and feel thankful.

Dear Turkeys,
I'm so sorry for what you have to go through in your short lives.  I'm sorry that my species largely views you as a commodity and not a living, breathing, feeling and emotional being.  I'm sorry that they force feed you bad food, antibiotics and other drugs to make you fat.  I'm sorry that you never have a chance to use your wings and to live a normal life.  I'm sorry that they beat you just because they can.  I'm sorry that you have to be shoved into tiny spaces and forced into an environment that is unfamiliar and uncomfortable.  I'm sorry that they kill you and think nothing of it.  I'm sorry that they cook you and leave your corpse on the table and call it a centerpiece.  I'm sorry that they don't recognize you for being a sacred life.  I'm sorry that humans think they are somehow better than you.  I am dedicating most of my life toward bringing more people to become more compassionate and to see you as the beautiful, intelligent and sentient being that you are.
I love you and I will be the change.
Love,
Jesse



No comments: